Welcome back to the Bee Green Blog! Today, we’ve got the first of two blogs that should help get you out there, finding scrap, and making money… the Bee Green Scrapping Guide, Part I! Enough talk though… let’s get to it!
The Bee Green Scrapping Guide – Getting Started
You don’t need a lot to get started. Here is what you’ll need:
- A small, strong magnet – think pocket sized! Not all metal is the same – you need to be able to distinguish in a snap ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Your magnet will attach to ferrous metals, and it will not attach to non-ferrous metals.
- Heavy duty gloves. You’re handling metal, and we shouldn’t have to tell you that sometimes metal can be sharp – especially the type of metal you’re likely to find scrapping. Protect your hands.
- A collection bin of some sort. Get a sturdy, strong container for your scrap. Perhaps a thick tupperware container (not the stuff you put your leftovers in!), or a wooden box, or a truck bed – something that will secure your metal, and not be bent out of shape by it.
- Basic knowledge of all the different types of metals – See part two for this!
Where can you find metal to start?
Everywhere – so long as you aren’t afraid of getting your hands dirty, and are able to talk to folks!
Often, you can find scrap in the trash of both commercial and residential locations. People will throw things away that they don’t even know have value! Don’t be afraid to knock on some front doors, and some construction site office doors, and tell folks you are a scrap collector – many people will be happy to just hand over their valuable scrap. Post some fliers! Send out emails to your friends and tell them to share! Get creative!
A couple tips on this though: do NOT trespass to collect scrap and do not root through other’s trash without permission. The first is a crime, the second is just flat out weird. A little bit of common courtesy and common sense goes a long way here.
Separate those metals!
So, you’ve got a nice pile of scrap now, and you’re ready to bring it up to Bee Green Recycling and get paid! There’s one last step, and it’s going to really help you maximize your profit…. SORT THOSE METALS! We will only pay you the rate for the least valuable metal in your container. So, don’t mix brass and aluminum and steel.
- First: separate the ferrous and non-ferrous metals.
- Second: take a look a the Scrap We Buy page and sort them visually
- Third: Put each type of metal in its own container.
- Four: Clean it! Remove any extraneous materials from the scrap, such as rubber, plastic, etc. The cleaner your scrap, the better price it will fetch!
Taking a little bit of extra time will pay off big-time.
Check Back Next Week for Part II of the Scrapping Guide!
This first guide should be enough to get you started. Part II will cover some more detailed tips and tricks for how to properly identify metals, and how to cash in and get paid.
We hope you enjoyed this guide, and we look forward to doing business with you! Get in touch with us at 804-912-2498, message us on Facebook, or send us a contact request if you have any questions.